Lifestyle · January 28, 2019

The ‘Oh My God We Get Married This Year!’ Wedding Planning Update

As the clock struck midnight on New Year’s Eve, as well as bellowing Three Lions at the top of my lungs with a belly filled with pasta and Celebrations and Jools Holland on in the background- I finally had the feeling of, ‘oh my god- WE’RE GETTING MARRIED THIS YEAR!’

After pushing our wedding back last year, a sudden rush of surreal forthcoming adult marital status rushed over me and everything felt very real. Exciting- absolutely! But seeing as we’ve both been pretty relaxed about everything thus far, in the weeks since New Years Day- I’ve suddenly become very aware of how quickly it will roll around, especially thanks to some weird and wonderful dreams (the weird certainly being nobody receiving invites and not turning up)- but maybe that’s the post Christmas cheese consumption still speaking…

But! For any other May brides out there- do not fret! My best friend kindly gave me the ‘well, you don’t start worrying about Christmas in September, do you?’ chat, and suddenly with a bit of perspective the four months we have feel reasonably lengthy again, for the moment anyway. Last week I clicked on Victoria’s wedding diaries post, and felt inspired to start chatting a little more about my own. Since becoming engaged I have indadvertedly become the nosiest person when it comes to anything marriage related. Give me details please, I WANT THEM ALL.

With the venue, dress, suit and bridesmaids dresses sorted- it does feel like we’re gradually ticking things off. But, the thing with weddings is that you do start thinking about everything (especially as your head hits the pillow too). Novelty things you’ve seen in magazines feel like necessary considerations and suddenly every decision of yours you’ve previously trusted feels questionable- y so irrational?!

The one thing that has helped ease the minor panic that has started to set in, is, surprisingly, reading about other people’s weddings. Rather than it igniting an enormous sense of comparison- it’s been refreshing and actually eliviated pressure to see how other people have defined such a special day, and it not necessarily being about location, budget or how lavish (or not) it’s been. The more ‘real’ weddings I read on brilliant sites like Rock My Wedding (reading Stone Fox Bride has also been amazing), the more I realise that a wedding is about nothing more than you and the person you are marrying (in the most non-selfish way possible). Everything will be perfect because it is yours and what you like. People won’t realise the things that aren’t there- they’ll just appreciate the day for what it is- and that’s absolutely something I’ve been trying to keep in mind when weird cutlery conversations crop up and feel Theresa May Brexit levels of importance (ahem).

So, yes- a little update for you (or a total waffle, you decide). If you’d like to see more wedding style chats do let me know- or, if you have any questions- let me know too! It’s nice to put all my thoughts down in one place and hopefully have a few silly chatty posts to look back on too!

x

7 Comments

Erin Azmir
    January 28, 2019 at 1:06 pm

i’m getting married this year too! it’s all very exciting! can’t wait to see more of your wedding posts x

erin x | http://www.erinazmir.com

Moog
    January 28, 2019 at 2:22 pm

I got married a couple of years ago and did not realise the amount of planning that goes into even literally the most bare minimum wedding (like ours) and like WOW. The important thing is that you’re doing the day in a way that feels right for you and your partner! Everything else will work itself out. My wife and I took a bus to the registry office with our four guests (and baby guest), got married in a small room, and ate Pret sandwiches in a park afterwards and it was perfect <3 There's no One Way for a wedding! If you feel good, and happy, and right, that's the best day for you.

Moog | https://moogflorin.com/2019/01/11/my-wider-2019-goals-and-how-i-chose-them/

Rosie
    January 28, 2019 at 2:35 pm

I absolutely love reading about weddings even though I got hitched 6 years ago, so yes please to more wedding posts! I remember those very same anxiety dreams – they’re very normal and I’m sure most brides experience them x

Grace K.
    January 28, 2019 at 2:42 pm

More wedding chat!

And as one former bride to another, it’s crazy how the panic sets in! We got married last June and I woke up in Jan/Feb with the “WHY DIDN’T I DO ALL OF THIS SOONER” mindset…however working my way through a giant digital checklist on The Knot was a huge help. I put on an old rom-com in the evenings and weekends and just ticked off wedding admin. My best piece of advice: don’t wait until the week of the wedding to do all those last-minute bits…It’s. Not. Worth. The. Stress. Take 3-4 days off work two or one week before and knock them out. Best of luck, Liv!

Macey
    January 28, 2019 at 4:46 pm

I definitely want to see more wedding updates from you!! I’m excited for Victoria’s series as well; I want as much inspiration for my own special day far off into the future haha x

Teresa
    January 28, 2019 at 4:50 pm

I wish everyone would keep as sound a mind as you seem to be keeping when planning a wedding 🙂 Because you’re right, it really is a party for the fact that you and your SO want to be together for good and bad. And no matter how extravagant your wedding might be the things that people tend to remember is the atmosphere, how much fun they had and perhaps the food. Not how many rare flowers you had arranged at every table, etc.

I’d love to read the same kinds of wedding update posts as Victoria did. Just spill it all 😀 There’s plenty of us nosy people.

Teresa | outlandishblog.com

Lau
    January 29, 2019 at 7:29 am

My wedding ended up being blogged about even though I’m not a blogger. Definitely just go with what you want, we gave up trying to please everyone and ended up with the best day – covered in Pine Cones and Feathers!