This is probably a little delayed in terms of Wimbledon timing (y’know with the whole strawberries ‘n’ cream thang), but if there’s one way to remedy a post-tennis tornament it’s with fresh berries, cream and a whole lotta eggwhite and sugar (in a meringue context, that is)! Plus, it’s super easy and pretty impressive if you can say you made the whole thing yourself, right? On top of that, it really doesn’t take long- and is the perfect pud for pretty much every summer dish- not bad, hey? Anyway- let’s get on with it!
You will need:
– 3 x egg whites
– 150g caster sugar
– Pinch of salt
– Pink food colouring (optional, but super cute)!
– Single cream
– A selection of fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries!
– Greaseproof paper
1. Preheat your oven to 150 degrees! Take your three egg whites and a pinch of salt, pop them in a bowl and ysing an electric whisk (or very speedy hand)- whisk until the whites become opaque and stand with soft peaks.
2. Gradually whisk the sugar in a spoonful at a time- along with your desired amount of food colouring (I added about 1 1/2 teaspoons), whilst whisking, until the peaks become stiff and stand up on their own.
3. Using a big spoon and teaspoon, spoon your mixture onto your lined baking sheet- aiming to create small wells in the centre so you can pop some fruit in the inside once cooked!
4. Cook your meringues for about 30/40 minutes (be sure to check they don’t burn- a golden edge is ok) and then leave to cool completely.
5. Grab a bowl, and pop your meringue inside! Chop some strawberries, crush some raspberries and grab some blueberries and throw them in too! (It’s ok if your meringue gets a little crushed in the process- this ain’t necessarily a pretty recipe)!
6. Drizzle with some cream and enjoy! Who needs tennis anyway? ; )
If you give these a go yourself don’t forget to use the hashtag #bakewithliv so I can see! Also, let me know if there’s any recipes you’d like to see!