Based on a recipe from Paul Hollywood (those eyes though), these muffins make for the perfect breakfast (or lunch) time meal, plus are so delicious toasted with jam and butter- I even converted Joe to them! Although they take a little while to make (if you factor in all the proofing and leaving), they’re perfect to make the night before and have as a morning after snack- and will definitely get you on the good side of any housemates or family you have living with you!
You will need:
– A shallow cooking pan (to cook the muffins)
– A baking sheet or tray
– 300g bread flour
– 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
– 1 1/2 teaspoons fast action-dried yeast
– 15g caster sugar
– 15g salted butter, in small cubes
– 1 beaten egg
– 170ml milk at room temperature
– 15g polenta
Let’s get going!
1. Pop the flour in a mixing bowl, with the yeast in one side of the bowl, and salt on the other. Add the sugar, beaten egg and milk in too. Mix everything together to make a soft dough!
2. Sprinkle your clean worktop with a little flour and knead you dough for about 15 minutes until soft. Pop the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise until it has doubled in size (this works best if your dough is left in a warm room).
3. Roll your dough on your surface until it is about 1.5cm thick and leave to relax for 15 minutes to avoid them shrinking in size.
4. Sprinkle half of your polenta on to your baking sheet, and using a cutter (or, like me, a mug) stamp out your muffins. Pop them on the baking tray and sprinkle the rest of your polenta on top of your muffins and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
5. Pop your pan onto a low heat, and once heated pop your muffins on to the pan and cook for about 8-10 minutes on each side (until the colour has changed and reached about halfway up each muffin) and they look well toasted (but not burnt).
6. Leave to cool and toast with jam and butter for a tasty breakfast treat!
If you give these a go yourself don’t forget to use the hashtag #bakewithliv so I can see! Also, let me know if there’s any recipes you’d like to see! I have a baking giveaway coming up too, so keep your eyes peeled!