Beauty · October 20, 2018

Five Skincare Favourites

It’s been a little minute since I last updated you on some of the skincare I’ve been turning to lately, so thought I’d fill you in on some of the products I’ve discovered (or reintroduced) into my routine.

Now, I’m going to be honest. I have exceptionally combination skin- when my skin is good, it’s really good- but during my period (and the glorious week before whereby I seem to get all the ‘warning’ signs), it can be really bad.

Naturally, sharing next to everything online, I’ve never wanted to post the ‘bad’ skin days- keeping those strictly for Instagram story filters and duvet days- but, being someone who grew up with severe acne (endless lotions, potions, tablets, red skin and flare ups)- felt like it really meant more to be honest.

I’ve had a few messages recently with people ‘thanking me for not covering up my imperfections’ on Instagram- and it seems like a (lovely) but strange thing to be thanking me for. We’re now so much so in an age whereby people cover up or filter everything, that seeing a pimple online seems like something to be thanked for- especially when it comes to skincare.

When I was 12 (yup, I got it young) I rarely saw anyone else with spots as bad as mine, and although I know my skin is far from terrible in these pictures, know that if I saw more girls with the odd pimple post now, it would have certainly make me feel less bad about mine. Growing up, it felt like if you had terrible skin it suggested you didn’t or weren’t trying hard with your skincare- but this post is a polite middle finger to that.

Because despite how consistently I care for my face, sometimes hormones and my body have other ideas- and that’s ok. It doesn’t mean I can’t talk about or enjoy skincare, and I’d like to think it doesn’t make me a bad representative of a brand either. We all get spots, just some of us would rather not share them, and that’s ok too.

But- despite that (and this list of products that I still love when my skin is playing up)- I thought I’d share a few others that have been helping remedy the good and bad skin days- and are perfectly spot on all-rounders no matter the weather (no pun intended).

1/ Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish-

Ah, this old chestnut. I’ve recently shared my love for this cleanser after a special trip with the brand– and it’s safe to say the reintroduction has been such a treat. Like an old friend, we’d probably unnecessarily drifted apart- but after getting back together it’s like no time had passed at all. It still works wonders on my skin, is nourishing and non-drying and works well whether my skin is clear or broken out. If I want something that’s not loaded with nasties, can get off everything from foundation to a stubborn mascara- this is my port of call and I’m happy she’s back in my life.

2/ Dr Roebuck’s No Worries Hydrating Face Moisturiser-

This gorgeous little moisturiser comes in from Dr. Roebuck- and like Cleanse and Polish, is a brilliant go-to no matter what my skin is up to. I used to always worry about moisturising a lot when my skin was bad, but since picking out some favourites- have realised it’s the complete opposite. With calming Vitamin E and Rosehip Oil- plus Hyaluronic Acid and Macadamia Oil, as well as being incredibly lightweight- it’s amazing at hydrating without feeling heavy and smells like the most delicious lavender too, which is only ever a lovely thing.

3/ Shiseido Essential Energy Moisturising Cream-

Having been introduced to this Shiseido number from my pal Brittany, I was more than excited to give this day cream a go. Packed with nutrients and a very fancy ‘ReNeura Technology™ to essentially reprogram the skin, encouraging cells to respond to the conditioning benefits of the formula’, it feels like smoothing a cooling yoghurt over your skin (an actual breakfast treat for your face)- which in my opinion is possibly the best way to wake up your skin in the morning. On top of that, it’s the perfect base for make up and sinks in beautifully- leaving my skin ready and glowing before I’ve even stepped out of the door.

4/ Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask-

I’d seen this mask dotted around online, and being the fickle person I am instantly fell for the name and packaging (never judge etc. etc.)- but wasn’t ready to fall head over heels until I’d actually given it a go. Knowing my purifying and detoxing masks well, I’m always on the hunt for a good burst of moisture when things get a bit dry post-breakout, and this locks that IN. I normally put it on before I hop in the bath and leave it on whilst I soak- it always works it’s magic, and I’ll definitely be taking it along during my next long haul too.

5/ Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream-

I’d seen a lot of Peter Thomas Roth products online (namely the infamous Pumpkin Enzyme mask), but it was only after giving this Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream a go that I truly got a sniff at why the name is so popular. With this promising intense hydration, it applies almost like water and absorbs almost instantly- cloud like, if you will! It’s an amazing base for make up and also feels perfectly hydrating before bed too- and quenches even the most parched of skin.

Photos by Joe Galvin

x

12 Comments

Mariya
    October 20, 2018 at 10:44 am

I really want to try some of these!

Mariya | http://www.brunetteondemand.com

Anika May
    October 20, 2018 at 2:47 pm

This is so helpful for me! Like you, I have combo skin that’s just HATING me right now so I’m definitely going to check some of these products out, especially the Cloud Cream, that sounds lovely!

Anika | anikamay.co.uk

Lucy
    October 20, 2018 at 6:22 pm

I relate so much with the fact that when my skin is good, its really good and when its bad its really bad. The Jet Lag mask sounds brilliant, I’ve never heard of it but now I want to try it (the packaging is gorgeous haha)!

Lucy | Forever September

Julia
    October 20, 2018 at 9:44 pm

Your honesty is great Liv! And thanks for sharing your skincare journey with us too. It helps because sometimes we can forget that the photos on Instagram are only those of good skin days, and we all have breakouts once in a while 🙂

Julia x
    Last Post: The Best Things To Do This Autumn | https://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.com/2018/10/lifestyle-best-things-to-do-in-autumn.html

Kelly
    October 20, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Absolutely adore this post! Thanks so much for this, honestly. I am the same skin type as you and have good & bad days as well and recently read an article that said blemish free skin doesn’t equal healthy skin and shouldn’t be the perfection we strive for. Blemishes are totally normal and doesn’t mean our skin is not healthy! So, I always keep that in mind when the days get tough….looking forward to trying out some of your suggestions! And thanks again for being so honest on the internet 🙂

Kaja
    October 20, 2018 at 10:31 pm

I don’t normally comment but just wanted to say I am in my late 20s and I still have problematic skin but I keep it looking real good by using “niacinamide” in my skincare. My skin gets crazy if I run out of it (I get pimple after pimple and that happened twice) but as soon as I put it back in my routine my skin clears up. Once or twice a day and my skin is amazing. I just want to put it out there in case this could help somebody else as well.

Briana
    October 20, 2018 at 11:04 pm

I have seriously been into skincare recently! Thanks for sharing, I totally want to try the Summer Friday mask!

Briana

Natalie
    October 20, 2018 at 11:32 pm

I’m glad it’s not just me whose skin is heavily effected by periods! It’s crazy how much it changes, and you’re so right about people just assuming you don’t use skincare. Sometimes no matter what you do it’s just out of your control. I used the Liz Earle product a while ago… think I might give it another go!

Love the post, the advice and the photos- thank you xx

Natalie’s Style

Flo la vita
    October 21, 2018 at 1:46 pm

I’ve heard so much about the liz Earle Cleanse and polish but I’ve never tried it. It sounds like a dream, I might have to give it a go myself x

Macey
    October 22, 2018 at 4:03 am

Liz Earle is a brand that I have always heard so many great things about but have never splurged on. After reading another blog post that mentioned the Liz Earle tonic, I feel like it’s a sign (a good excuse, more like it) that I neeeed to give in & buy one of their products!! I loved your transparency about your skin because it’s certainly true that not one of us have ever or will ever reach perfection, and of course in this day and age it’s refreshing to see someone be real. xx

Leanne
    October 22, 2018 at 9:59 am

Really great post-Liv. I think most people experience skincare issues when their period lumes.
    I am 28, haave combination skin also so here is whta I use….

AM:
    Dr Sam Bunting Flawless Cleanser
    Paulas Choice 2% BHA lotion
    Avene Hydrance Light Hydration lotion with SPF 20.

PM:
    Dr Sam Bunting Flawless Cleanser
    La Roch Posey Redermic R Retinol (Its low strength so there is no peeling)
    I then often add a few drops of Pai Skincare Rosehip Oil onto my skin.

My hero product however it 100% the Paulas Choice BHA solution. It’s brilliant.
    Leanne xx

Jasmine
    October 28, 2018 at 5:53 pm

I loved reading this post Liv, so many great product recommendations. Cleanse & Polish is definitely a skincare staple, does the job so well and leaves skin feeling super clean and clear! I love the sound of this Peter Thomas Roth cream, perfect for A/W!

Jasmine xx