Style · August 13, 2018

Investing in Fashion, Labelling and THE BAG

Last week I did a big, pricey and much considered thing. Nope, I didn’t do a sky dive, but invested in an item I’d been toying with for what felt like forever, and to be honest- it kind of was.

I’ve never really been the kind of person to fall head over heels with designer bags. I’m fortunate enough that I have invested in a couple in the past (with my Mansur Gavriel being one of my absolute favourites)- but to me, it’s less about the name of the brand and more about the uniqueness, timelessness and speciality of the style- it could be from Lidl, Loewe or Lands End but the importance is certainly not in how much it’ll set me back, or being Lady Label- but whether it could enhance my wardrobe, and add life to my most loved.

But back to the bag. Last year I fell in love with this YSL Raffia number. It was expensive, (probably) impractical and between seeing it and it selling out there was no way I could consider dreaming about justifying it. In the coming months, I searched resale sites and never saw anything similar- until this year when I saw a certain Ms. Welch sporting a certain wicker Gucci number- that was it! It was love!

The perfect lacquered wicker bag that balanced timelessness and something modern too (and that’s without mentioning the lining). Shaped like every classic bag I’ve ever dreamed of (2.55 I’m lookin’ at yo), it felt more in line with my style- and almost like a nod to a classic Birkin basket, from a fashion period that felt exciting and almost heirloom like for Gucci. So, after scouring the internet for the ‘Gucci Cestino’, I discovered the world seemed to love it just as much as me, so I popped it down on my Matches wish list in case I was to ever see it again. Fortunately, last week it came back in- and after having some money saved I decided to bite the bullet. I felt positively queasy pressing purchase, but after solidly having it glued to my side- think I can presume it was a sensible investment.

Anyway, on Sunday I was reading through The Sunday Times Style, and came across a piece by Claudia Winkleman on designer labels, which read; ‘Labelling is back, it’s 1980s in tone, it’s “Look how much I spent” and it’s unashamedly out there’. Reading that line instantly made me feel about icky about my latest purchase, was it ostentatious of me? Was I being flashy? None of those things even crossed my mind previously and made me wonder (in a non-Bradshaw-esque way) that although labels and logos and popular- is it possible to splurge without being suggestive?

It feels a little gluttunous to share such a costly purchase on my blog. Goodness knows I don’t want to be like ‘OI! LOOK WHAT I WENT AND GOT!’ But after thinking about it for a while- isn’t that why I started writing this website after all? Not to brag about the ludicrously indulgent (which trust me, are few and far between)- but to share what I’m loving, doing and shopping. When I started it may have been Peter Pan collars and sixth form loafers– but the premise still remains- and even if this time it does boast a logo, it’s still an achievement, and one that’ll be sitting in my wardrobe for years to come.

x

(Cardigan: Topshop, Top: Monki, Jeans: Stradivarius, Shoes: Salt Water, Glasses: Accessorize, Bag: Gucci)

14 Comments

Sandra
    August 13, 2018 at 7:56 pm

You go, girl! Love the bag and your style is always on point! I think you definitely deserve it and it does not feel ostentatious at all!
    Sending love! xx

Lara
    August 14, 2018 at 8:40 am

Liv, this whole outfit is GORGEOUS!! The rose-coloured glasses are lovely and the bag is just stunning, I’m sure you will make a great investment out of it! I always feel like you do in-between seasons dressing soooo well. Love it xx

Liyana Aris
    August 14, 2018 at 11:43 am

I suppose we can’t deny that the piece is referring to a VERY FEW bad eggs out there – those who buy designers for the sake of showing off – but heck if one day I could afford a Chanel bag, I’d wear it out and proud. If anyone thinks I’m showing off, I’m choosing to think it’s more of their problem than mine.

As Margaret Wood once (apparently) said, “You can only be jealous of someone who has something you think you ought to have yourself.” Perhaps it’s not too outrageous to consider the writer of the piece is a little green-eyed, but then again I’m sure we all get green-eyed at some point or another in our life. More often than not when I see someone walking by with a beautiful designer bag I sigh in admiration of the bag and dream of the day I could own a similar thing, and I’m sure there are more people out there who admire than those that envy.

Your bag is GORGEOUS, and you’ve worked hard for the bag, so wear it out and proud, Liv. It suits you beautifully, and the words “ostentatious” and “flashy” simply don’t belong to the combo of you and this Gucci bag you’ve saved up for.

Liyana

Alice Narcross
    August 14, 2018 at 1:17 pm

These shots are gorgeous and that bag is a dream!
    Sharing new items in your wardrobe you’re excited about is in no way braggy (you’re the least braggy blogger out there, and believe me theres loads)
    I think its easy to spot those who like to brag about designer purchases, you my dear are not one of those people.
    You’ve worked hard, treated yourself to a beaut! You show that bag off!!

Ray Amaari
    August 14, 2018 at 1:46 pm

That’s a very cute purse.

Jayne
    August 14, 2018 at 10:02 pm

I am in love with that bag! I don’t think there’s anything wrong with spending a little more on a designer item, you’ve earned it and it’s such an investment x
    jayneemma.co.uk

Neeltje | Thoughts in Style
    August 15, 2018 at 7:33 am

I love the pieces you’re wearing! X

Flo la vita
    August 15, 2018 at 8:55 am

The bag is BEAUT! I love that it’s a basket bag but still has that elegant look to it xx

Jasmine Harding
    August 15, 2018 at 10:48 am

GORGEOUS post and photos as always, Liv! This outfit is so lovely and I adore these sunglasses!

Jasmine xx

Diana
    August 15, 2018 at 1:32 pm

This outfit, combined with the bag of dreams, is amazing.

xx

Yatri Pabari
    August 15, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Love this whole outfit & the Gucci is a total dream! I had no idea they had a wicker style!!

Yatri | Style Beauty & Travel

Helena
    August 16, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Love it! Last year for my 30th I bought myself the Chanel bag I’ve wanted since I was 15. I’d been saving for a few years and finally found the style I wanted online on a vintage/second hand website. I’ve had a long time to think about it, haha.

Alexa Marsh
    August 21, 2018 at 10:48 pm

That bag is too cute! 🙂

Lauren
    August 22, 2018 at 8:15 pm

I think there’s something to be said for buying the thing you’ve always wanted and saved for- isn’t it more sustainable to get something you’ll use every day, truly treasure and pass down to daughters and granddaughters?