Style · July 4, 2018

When Jeans Don’t Fit, Summer Dressing & Sartorial Comfort Zones…

It’s safe to say that after the weather became more than overcast 22-degree days my summer wardrobe went into an inevitable meltdown. ‘U.K summers aren’t meant to be like this!’ it whelped at me as I dug through for another pair of shorts that I’d long misplaced since panic buying a lone pair last year for a last minute holiday…

My wardrobe solely consisted of only knee length dresses, jumpers and fabrics that are probably meant to heat you up opposed to cooling you down. It was a polyester vintage shop nightmare, solely assisting with running-to-train swears than anything else- with heavy threaded denim and cropped jeans being my only serious summer option…

So this week I inevitably had one of those silly moments. When, after trying on about 3 pairs of old jeans that didn’t fit- banished myself to midi and maxi dresses even though the weather was comfortably some of the hottest it had ever been at the U.K. I’d told myself I’d feel more comfortable never baring my pale pins and hiding everything away until the summer quickly passed and we’d be back into deniers before we knew it.

But guess what? I had a mini revelation. It might sound completely ridiculous, but realising that instead of trying to fit into old clothes you can, in fact, buy new ones- felt groundbreaking. Why do we punish ourselves into trying to constantly conform to our ‘old’ selves, for better or, realistically, for worse? So instead of looking at old shorts that no longer looked right, I bought a new pair.

Now, I can’t express how freeing it is to accept that to love your body and be happy, you don’t have to be at the lowest weight you’ve ever been at, and knowing that weight and happiness do not run parallel is a huge relief when you realise it.

And you know why those jeans didn’t fit? Because I’ve really, really enjoyed myself over the last year. I’ve eaten delicious meals in places I never thought I’d visit, I’ve moved into an area that (fortunately or not) offers Deliveroo as an option (which means Friday night takeaways are a ‘thing’ and a total pleasure) and I’ve worried less about clothes and more about looking out for number one (that’s yours truly FYI).

Okay some old jeans don’t fit- but having not worn them for over a year maybe they hadn’t fitted for a while? WHO CARES! It’s okay to want to become fitter, look after your mental health and tone up- of course it is- but don’t let your fear of a number on an item of clothing stop you enjoying clothes. Summer can feel like a tricky time if you don’t ooze body confidence, and this is a note to say- I hear you.

This is a post for all the ladies- of all sizes, afraid to pull on a pair of shorts, a bikini or anything that pushes them out of their day-to-day comfort zone. If you feel like you can, do- and if not, know that your value, beauty and strength is so much more than a number inside a garment. Summer is just a season, but looking out for yourself lasts a lifetime.

x

(T-Shirt: Vintage from Shop Suki, Shorts: Urban Outfitters, Shoes: Superga, Bag: Clare V, Hairband: Free People)

21 Comments

Kate B.
    July 4, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Beautiful post, just what I needed to read. Had to rid a lot of things recently due to weight gain but now I have bought new things that, 1) fit, 2) feel great, and 3) look great! I’m trying my best to stay positive and happy and I think being more fun and bold with fashion is helping a lot.

Briana
    July 4, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Super cute tee girl!

Briana

Ellie
    July 4, 2018 at 10:28 pm

Looooove this outfit babe!!

Ellie xx

Ife
    July 4, 2018 at 10:32 pm

Such a good post! I am going through the same thing right now with nothing fitting and slowly accepting that that’s okay.

Kirsty
    July 5, 2018 at 8:26 am

Ah, this cheered me right up today! I got married a month ago, and the endless celebrating, wine drinking and cheese eating that has gone on has left me with far fewer wardrobe options for the hot days. It’s incredible how much you can pile on if you set your mind to it! Rather than mope I’ll just go out and flounce around with my improved cleavage and thicker thighs – stuff it! You look fantastic, by the way x

Neeltje | Thoughts in Style
    July 5, 2018 at 9:35 am

Ah, these photos are so cute! xx

Bruna Eloise
    July 5, 2018 at 10:17 am

Amazing words, Liv!!! I love this post!
    Why do we always want to be able to wear the same thing forever? I’m the same..

Btw, you look amazing! More beautiful than ever!!!
    Enjoy your summer!
    Love from Brazil

Kayleigh
    July 5, 2018 at 10:43 am

This is such a cool summer outfit! I have a very minimal summer wardrobe, as my wardrobe is made up of 80% winter and autumn clothes. I’m feeling more confident to get back into wearing shorts again this summer! 🙂

Kayleigh | http://www.anenthusiasmfor.co.uk

Anka May
    July 5, 2018 at 11:07 am

“Know that your value, beauty and strength is so much more than a number inside a garment” is such a great quote, loved reading this Liv!

Anika | anikamay.co.uk

cristy nottingham
    July 5, 2018 at 11:09 am

absolutely loving this outfit, and love the head band too xx

cristynottingham.blogspot.com

Briony
    July 5, 2018 at 11:53 am

Love love loved reading your wise words. It’s SO liberating to have that realisation that your old skinny jeans don’t fit because you are so much happier than when you bought them. And these are such beautiful photos, you look radiant!

Joanne
    July 5, 2018 at 2:37 pm

I love this outfit, the shorts are so cute and love the tee!! x

Joanne // Fashion Polaroids

Courtney Hardy
    July 5, 2018 at 2:43 pm

That look is so cute! I love the top.

Leah
    July 5, 2018 at 5:05 pm

The struggle is real with shorts! I did the same thing yesterday, but was pleased that I could wiggle into one pair out of six. The heat index where I live has been 105 or 106 degrees F, which is unbearable without shorts.

Emine
    July 5, 2018 at 7:05 pm

I’m totally on board with this. None of my jeans from last yeast fit and this week I gave up added sugars to try and get my stomach back to it’s “original” size…it’s kinda depressing and this post has rightly influenced me to have a delicious sugary snack after dinner because, you know what, fuck it.

Helen
    July 5, 2018 at 7:56 pm

I got married, went on the inevitable (as far as I’m concerned) post-wedding diet also involving much Deliveroo, got pregnant, had a massive baby and then ate loads of cake on my maternity leave. Bad times. So I decided to get rid of all clothes from pre-baby and concentrate on trying to find confidence in where I am now, which is also a great excuse to shop, so totally relate to this post. Whilst I am trying to be as active as possible now the baby isn’t permanently attached to my boobs, I currently have clothes that fit me rather than a wardrobe of clothes I am hoping to get back into, and I think that’s better for mental health. For what it’s worth, it’s hard to imagine you thinner and you look amazing! Also, I stayed in south London recently and was in Deliveroo range of Brixton. Oh my.

Alexa Marsh
    July 6, 2018 at 2:15 pm

I am obsessed with that T-shirt! How cute and fun!

Sophie
    July 6, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Loved reading this! I cant even tell you how many times I’ve let not fitting into old items of clothing ruin my day, and as I’m now the biggest I’ve ever been it seems to be happening a lot. Summer can be such a tricky time for body confidence…think I need to invest in some new shorts that actually fit me too! xx

Sophie | Sophar So Good

A Girl, A Style
    July 9, 2018 at 10:20 am

Amen, sister! I can’t tell you what a relief it was when I finally realised that my happiness was not linked to my clothes size, and I didn’t have to punish myself for not being able to fit into my clothes from the previous summer and / or feel I had to cover myself up year-round. Get those legs out, whatever your size!

Briony xx

Laura Rose
    July 9, 2018 at 8:46 pm

thiiiiiis post! I tried putting on a pair of jeans a few weeks ago that didn’t fit – my immediate though was oh f*** when did you put on so much weight?! And then I too realised I’ve just been happy and living my best life since the start of the year and couldn’t give a crap! Anyway… LOVE this outfit, the print on the tee is super cuuuute!

Laura x

Piia
    July 18, 2018 at 9:46 pm

Yeeesss!! Really needed this post and the conversations surroundin it (and prompting more and more posts like this) on Instagram. Let 2018 be the year we all embrace our tummy rolls and forget aout “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”.

x