Style · December 22, 2017

It’s Christmas Time In The City

Can anyone believe it’s actually just three short days until Christmas? I feel like I say it every month/year (delete as appropriate) but looking back through December, it’s a bit astounding to think about how quickly it’s gone (that, and the fact I STILL HAVE BLOODY SHOPPING TO BUY). Regardless, it feels like it’s been a pretty exciting lead up, and as Joe so accurately put it ‘I feel like I’ve been listening to Heart Extra Christmas for months now’- so perhaps it hasn’t flown by all that quickly after all.

After getting back from Canada earlier this week (more on that very soon), I did have a little bit of a reflect about how we document the festive period online, after having a bit of a daft moment of self doubt and thinking that my ‘content’ (and ‘grid’) hadn’t been festive enough this year. I mean really?! GIRL, YOU’RE A MINCE PIE SHORT OF YOUR SANITY. It’s funny the weird little subliminal norms we have programmed into us because of the internet, and just because a few snapshots of candid daily life didn’t look gallery worthy I stared wondering if I’d even gotten into the spirit- sorry, what? I mean, I love seeing wreaths, sparkly trees and flashbulb party outfit photography as much as the next person (really, you should see my Instagram saved)- but around this time of year I do think sometimes the pressure can be applied to feel the need to do things a certain way (which Lizzy so beautifully articulated in her vlog this week too).

So, just as a little reminder- don’t fret if you haven’t shared every moment online this season. You’re not obliged to paint things in the most beautiful light, but namely just remember to enjoy them as they happen. This week my ‘festive’ feed has included everything from snaps from the #FreePeriods protest, a video about my visit to the Help Refugees #ChooseLove shop (it’s open for two more days FYI) and a new ‘do (which again, I’ll be talking about soon). All of those things do feel somewhat festive to me, and despite not being trees, tinsel and perfectly packaged parcels, I try to remember, that nope, in the grand scheme of things- that really doesn’t matter.

So! Brain farts and internet musings aside, these snaps were taken in one of my favourite, and often unvisited, spots in London- Leadenhall Market. Tucked a little away from the bustle of the old city, this little market seems to feel festive all year round, but somehow still comes into it’s own around Christmas time. Perhaps it’s the burgundy reds, gold trimmings and fir decor that suckered me in, but visiting just before Christmas- when the pubs are overspilling and people are racing around will rustling paper bags, it’s a spot that encapsulates London at this time of year- especially when it’s before the last day of work!

Pairing my favourite new (and shockingly un-itchy) jumper from & other stories with my numero uno beret, jeans and boots– it made for the perfect outfit for an unseasonably warm winters day (I mean, first snow- NOW THIS?) and the most apt uniform for a day of dramatic spontaneous haircuts, protesting and last minute errands- THREE DAYS TO GO!

(Jumper: C/O & Other Stories, Jeans: Levi’s Wedgie, Boots: Reserved, Hat: Topshop, Bag: & Other Stories)

December 22, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Such a cute outfit, I love everything about it! Great style <3

Courtney Hardy
    December 22, 2017 at 3:07 pm

It looks so pretty there. I love all the decorations.

YZ Chan
    December 22, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Loving the festive vibes from the shiny jumper with the red beret!

Kristin Bassett
    December 22, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Leadenhall Market is such a lovely part of London that people always seem to miss. Happy holidays to you and yours! – Kristin | It’s Kristin

December 22, 2017 at 3:18 pm

The best time of the year, so happy to see my city alive and filled with ornaments and lights.

December 22, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Such lovely photos! Also, I totally agree! We need to make sure we are actually enjoying ourselves instead of constantly feeling like our lives need to fit into our internet presence. It’s ok to do something without taking a single photo or video. Just because you don’t record something doesn’t invalidate it. <3

Lexi Lawrence
    December 22, 2017 at 4:59 pm

I’ve never been there! Must visit it looks gorgeous, as do you Liv! x

Chloe Hayfield
    December 22, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Oh Liv, I could not agree more with everything you said! I’ve actually taken a bit of a step back from Instagram as I feel like there is so much pressure.

I love love love the images in this post though!

December 22, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Brain farts!!! Haha, loved it!

x Mariya

December 22, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Social media in general does put an inordinate amount of pressure on us to constantly curate our lives – so I completely get where you’re coming from. But as you said, I’d much rather have it reflect something meaningful, instead of putting something on there just because “it’s the thing to do”.

I hope you have a great Christmas, your pictures are lovely 🙂

Sneha |

December 22, 2017 at 8:19 pm

these photos are really reminiscent of parts of Nantes and Paris!

Christmas Shopping Offers
    December 23, 2017 at 10:36 am

Yes, It is really very exciting about Christmas. I love to celebrate this festival. Your post is awesome. thanks for sharing.

flo la vita
    December 23, 2017 at 11:27 am

I am in love with the photos! So festive! Christmas in London is always the best! xx

Neeltje | Thoughts in Style
    December 23, 2017 at 12:28 pm

So many cute photos and I am loving your outfit! X

December 23, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Your outfit is just as Christmassy as it gets!!! I mean it’s a gold sweater! I love it!

Olga from Myme

December 23, 2017 at 7:06 pm

I agree – it can feel so overwhelming this time of year with so much happening and only so little time to document it all. But you’re absolutely correct – there’s NO need to document absolutely everything (or anything at all if you so feel!) – the most important thing is to have fun (and to retain your sanity…)! I hope you’re having the most wonderful Christmas time so far x

Laura // Middle of Adventure

December 23, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Absolutely love how festive this is! So Christmassy and you look so happy

Ellie xx

December 23, 2017 at 8:47 pm

It’s so lovely to hear your Christmas musings and I think we can all relate to feeling like we need to share every festive moment and nothing else. Leaden hall Market sounds AH-MAZING, I will definitely be checking that out next time I visit London. I love your chatty posts and am so glad you have been sharing everything you have been up to this week, even if it wasn’t festive – loved seeing the free periods march! I hope you have the most amazing Christmas!

Holly from The Art of Being Holly xo

December 24, 2017 at 1:01 am

Beautiful outfits & photos! Always loved your blog for that <3

Hayley xx

Laura Mitbrodt
    December 25, 2017 at 8:18 am

It looks so amazing there at Christmas

December 26, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Leadenhall Market looks so beautiful – I wish I’d known how amazing it looked before I planned my Christmas London trip this year!
    It’s great that you thought about sharing the love this Christmas – we should always help in any way we can, even the smallest ways 🙂

Julia x
    Last Post: Christmas in Bath, UK |

December 28, 2017 at 12:10 pm

These pictures are amaizng!! I love the touch of the red beret. Your beautiful!