Style · November 6, 2017

The One Where I Gave Up Shopping

Now, let’s get one thing straight here- not shopping for a month is far from heroic or praiseworthy. It might have taken an often irresponsible shopper like me to feel a little challenged by giving up the frivolous spends for around thirty days, but not shopping for a month is baby stuff- let’s be honest. After talking about this at the beginning of the month and going all in with Sophie and Britney, I was excited to utilise my wardrobe to it’s full potential, start getting cost-per-wears down and holding off on my 3-5 business day mindset.

Anyway, although I definitely don’t recommend starting a spending ban just as all the new season pieces land in October (especially when you’re in need of some serious layers), it was an incredibly useful exercise in realising what I needed in my wardrobe and where the gaps were. Being able to consider purchases over several weeks opposed to impulsive moments felt sensible and ~grown up~, especially being part of an age where everything feels like it has to be instant and ‘buy it now!’ Seeing endless hauls, new ins and Instagrams can always add to the pressure to hop on a bandwagon quickly and part with the pounds too. Haven’t we all been guilty there?

Over this month, I also spoke to one of my friends about how I think apps like Instagram can really make you forget about your actual taste in things. It can almost become so saturated and fast paced that you can be overwhelmed by choice, thinking there’s a need for things, that in reality, you’re probably not actually wild for. I sometimes think there can be a shopping inspired envy triggered by the need to keep up, when really, you’re probably not even that interested. I’ve found myself becoming jealous of peoples designer purchases in the past, often of pieces I’d never even buy myself- internet y u do this??

On top of that, being someone who often buys things before often seeing what they already have to wear- rediscovering the pieces that I truly turn to again and again was great, especially at showing me the areas I can probably go to invest in later on. I definitely noticed a pattern with the things I love the most, and have put together a capsule wardrobe video here talking about them in more detail too.

With items such as my Monki coat, Levis jeans and black velvet Boden jacket getting their fair share of exercise this month, I’m definitely determined to fill the few gaps and keep it up. Who knew a spending ban could get a girl so philosophical? Let’s see how I go- at least on a more flexi scale anyway. Ahem…

x

15 Comments

Lauren
    November 6, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Totally agree – following fashion on insta really makes us want to throw more money and new in pieces, but it’s great to re-work your wardrobe and see what you truly love and get wear out of. I’m loving the fluffy teddy coat!

Lauren x
    Britton Loves | Cruelty-Free/Vegan Beauty • Lifestyle • Photography

Holly
    November 6, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Love the idea of this & congrats for sticking to it as I know that can’t have been easy! I think post Christmas I might try this as a New Years Resolution because you have made it sound like such a useful thing to do. My main downfall is buying things before thinking what they are going to go with in my wardrobe, so maybe I will just work on that for now! Really loved this post, brilliant & so inspiring.

Holly from The Art of Being Holly xo

Courtney
    November 6, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Sounds awesome girl!

Courtney
    November 6, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Sounds awesome girl!

Gemma
    November 6, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Fabulous idea and a great exercise in contentment and resourcefulness!

Gemma

Chloe Hayfield
    November 6, 2017 at 8:29 pm

After browsing ASOS for hours looking to buy stuff I can’t afford this was definitely what I needed to read! I think I’m going to pop a spending ban in place x

Lois
    November 6, 2017 at 11:00 pm

I absolutely LOVE this idea and I think you’re so spot on that Instagram can make us forget what our real taste even is – you just constantly want the newest, trendiest thing but our wardrobes are actually full of amazing items. I am thinking I may have to finish November up with a spending ban myself and see how much wear I can get out of my current wardrobe! Thank you so much for sharing this!

Lois | http://www.aworthytrend.com

xx

Frances
    November 7, 2017 at 10:06 am

Love that you have done this! I was basically on a spending ban for 6 months last year as I saved up to go travelling, so now I feel like I am playing the catch up game with nowhere near enough in my wardrobe. I am having to be smart about what I buy for the opposite reason in that I don’t have heaps so I have to make sure what I buy is the right thing and versatile enough until I feel I have got the basics back in place xx

Frances Kayleigh | Fashion Beauty Lifestyle

Cat
    November 7, 2017 at 4:59 pm

I have been trying to do a capsule wardrobe for so long! One day..also congrats on your ban! <3

Cat

Annabelle
    November 7, 2017 at 8:22 pm

I also put myself on a spending ban after working out roughly what I’d spent on clothing this year and realising it was a ridiculous amount! It’s so easy to get caught up in trends when really there’s a lot of gems sitting in your wardrobe already.

Belle in Black and White

Lucy
    November 7, 2017 at 9:01 pm

All the points you’ve made are spot on and I completely agree. Not only are there these constant pressures but also the environmental impact! I just finished reading a book actually, which highlights these impacts and is really making me more mindful about my purchases and make me consider if its something I really need in my wardrobe for a long period of time.

Lucy

Peaches
    November 9, 2017 at 1:04 pm

100% agree with this! It’s often so easy to get caught up with ‘needing the latest trends’ and forgetting about your personal style x

Martine
    November 10, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I rarely shop, just because I simply can’t afford it! But I completely agree with you, when you scroll Insta you kind of feel like you SHOULD be shopping more, because there’s so many apparently “must have items”, when in fact, you’re fine with what you’ve got. I think it’s healthy for everyone to have a shopping break sometimes! (On that note; I’m headed to Brent Cross now to shop for Christmas Decorations, haha!)

Laura Rose
    November 17, 2017 at 9:32 pm

I always try a shopping ban and then ASOS has a money off everything offer and I immediately fail!! haha

Laura | roseanweston.blogspot.co.uk

Feelin' Festive With Free People | What Olivia Did
    November 27, 2017 at 2:48 pm

[…] of the tree- wardrobe-wise, I’m doing pretty well. After doing a thorough sort out and spending ban, identifying the gaps for the next few months became suspiciously easy- and dressing for both day […]