Okay, so maybe Julia Child would have made her cakes slightly differently to what I’m about to show you, but her words above do speak timeless wisdom- and cake is cake, right? This one’s just a little quicker and fuss free, which is rarely a bad thing! Anyway, as the final part of my Betty Crocker #BakingWithBetty #ICakeYou project, I present to you (in time for Mother’s Day, no less) world’s most simple lemon cake (that, despite any dubious box-fearers, tastes incredibly authentic, light and zingy too)! Whether you’re planning on whipping something special up for this Sunday, or understandably, just fancy making something different to a Viccy Sponge- I can’t sing it’s praises enough…
– 1 x Packet Betty Crocker Zesty Lemon Cake Mix
– 1 x Betty Crocker Zesty Lemon Icing
– 3 Eggs
– 200ml Water
1 6tbhs Vegetable Oil
1. You’re probably experts in this by now- so you know the drill! Throw in all of your ingredients into a bowl, and mix together for 2-3 minutes until everything is combined.
2. Bake in a preheated oven for 25-8 minutes on 180 degrees. I actually baked it for about 40 minutes as I didn’t split the mixture into separate tins/cupcake cases (I wanted quite a thick sponge for this bake)- so adapt this accordingly.
3. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack before icing- I used quite a thick lashing and then finished with slices of lemon (but some lemon zest could also work nicely). For an alternative baking idea, this mix would also work really nicely as a lemon drizzle loaf, by adding it to a loaf tin (and dotting lemon syrup or juice into holes once baked).
And that’s all folks! I hope you’ve enjoyed this little series. I know it’s something different, but it was nice to shine a light on something a little alternative in the baking department, and show that even if you have limited time, resources or even skills- you can still put together some rewarding, delicious bakes! More baking will resume as of next week so let me know what else you’d like to see over here too, I’m always open to suggestions!