You will need:
– 75g unsalted butter
– 250g light brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
– 560g plain flour (plus some for rolling)
– 2 tablespoons baking powder
– 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
– 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
– 240g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
– 300g cold milk
– Caster sugar for dipping
– Butter for greasing the tin
I tweaked a couple of tiny details with mine (I used 1 teaspoon of salt instead of two, and a little less cardamom, but added everything as per the recipe above)!
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (fan) and butter a 12-cup muffin tray.
2. Prepare your filling! Melt the butter and leave it in a warm place so that it remains liquid. Mix together your sugar and cinnamon and set to one side.
3. Dough time! In an electric mixer, combine all the dry ingredients with your cubes of butter. Then slowly pour in your cold milk whilst the mixer is running, until the dough forms a ball and starts to come away from the bowl. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and leave to rest for a few minutes. Fold the dough gently over itself once or twice to pull it all together, and let it rest for a second time for about 10 minutes.
4. Clear a large surface, and dust lightly with some more flour. Roll the dough into a large rectangle until about 5mm thick. Brush the dough with the melted butter, and then sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on top until there’s a nice thick layer!
5. Starting with the long side, roll the dough up away from you- keeping it tight and rolling it into a spiral (gently tugging it towards you every now and again to keep things neat). Once it’s rolled up, squeeze the roll to ensure it’s the same thickness throughout, and use a sharp knife to cut the roll into 12 even slices.
6. Taking a slice of the cinnamon roll, peel back about 5cm of the loose end of the pastry and fold it in back under the roll to loosely cover the bottom. Place in the muffin tray, flap-side down and repeat until all are done! Bake the buns for 25 minutes and once out, dip into a bowl of caster sugar and serve!