The 5 ingredient winter warmer…
Let me tell you a little secret- up until last year I’d never really had soup. I’m not sure what took me so long to come around to having it (‘Oh but it’s just a savoury smoothie’) but last year and several cans of Heinz Cream of Tomato, I was totally sold. Fast forward a year and I’m completely obsessed with whizzing up my mums homemade tomato soup recipe, which not only requires about 5 ingredients, but is so warming, easy and delicious (and this recipes serves 4 too)!
You will need:
– 4 Carrots
– 5 Sticks of celery
– 2 packets of plum tomatoes (about 1kg)
– 7 slices smoked streaky bacon
– A pinch of salt and pepper
– Additional herbs of your choice
– 1 pint chicken stock
1. To begin with chop up your carrots, celery and tomatoes and pop them into a saucepan on the hob. Mix up your chicken stock, and pour it into the pan, before simmering on a low heat.
2. Cut up your bacon and fry until cooked (this adds a lovely smoky flavour), before adding it to your vegetable mix, and simmering on a low heat for about an hour, until the vegetables have softened and cooked down. Add in your salt and pepper (and any herbs if you wish, basil and oregano are great) and then liquidise your mix until smooth (or a little chunky, if you’re like me)!
3. Serve with crusty bread and salted butter, and save the rest for lunch the next day! If there is any, of course!
Let me know how you get on, and of course if you try this yourself please snap me a picture and use the hashtag #BakeWithLiv- I’d love to see!