If there’s one thing we’re known for in the Purvis household, it’s our love for biscuits. No, really. So, after becoming somewhat infatuated and catching a glimpse of something similar on last weeks Bake Off, I thought I’d give some tea-bag inspired biccies a go myself, and pop a spot of tea flavouring in them too- the ultimate dunking biscuit if you like (especially as all of the chocolate melts off- mmm)!
You will need:
– 250g unsalted butter
– 125g caster sugar
– 1 egg yolk
– 3 tablespoons Earl Grey tealeaves
– 300g plain flour
– 100g dark chocolate
– Bakers twine or ribbon
– A cookie cutter
– Baking tray lined with greaseproof paper
1. To begin with, grind up with tea leaves until they are super small and dust-like. For this you can either use a pestle and mortar or the side of a spoon, if you have a lot of patience! That, or pop them in a food processor and whizz until very small!
4. Pull your dough ball in half and roll into two disc shapes, before wrapping in cling film and pop in your fridge to harden for half an hour. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (fan assisted).
5. Roll out your dough on a floured work surface until a little thicker than a pound coin. Using a square cutter (or rectangle), cut squares, and then diagonally cut the two top edges off to create the ‘tea bag’ shape. Using a cocktail stick, or skewer, poke a hole through the top (ensuring it is completely open) and lay onto a lined baking sheet, a little apart from the other cookies.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes, and bake until the biscuits are golden with a slightly crisp edge (but not too brown). Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
7. Whilst they are cooling, melt your chocolate on a medium heat in a pan until just melted and glossy. Pour into a bowl, and leave until the next step is complete.
8. Using your string, cut small sections- and thread through the holes in your cooled biscuits, tying a small knot at the top and cutting away any left over string, so it all looks tidy. Dip your biscuits into the melted chocolate and lay on a baking sheet until the chocolate has set. Enjoy!
But that’s not all folks! To celebrate and thank you lovely lot for being such keen bakers, and using the #bakewithliv hashtag- I have a little giveaway for those of you active in the kitchen and baking along (don’t worry if you’re not a big baker- I have another giveaway coming up next weekend for you)! The lovely people at Laura Ashley have given me a gorgeous new baking set to gift to one of you little bakers, and all you have to do is show me your favourite recipe! So, whether you try one of mine (all recipes can be found here) or show me one of your favourites, all you have to do is take a snap of it, tag #bakewithliv on Twitter or Instagram, and give @LauraAshleyUK a follow too! The giveaway is open for 2 weeks (entries close on the 7th September)- so show me your bakes, and I’ll pick a winner at complete random then!