First things first, apologies for my kitchen absence of late on the ol’ blog. It’s been a while since I’ve experimented with food and have done any home cooking that isn’t pasta or Francis Boulle style sandwiches. However, with a little bit of time on my hands I’ve been keen to sample some more recipes- and explore the charm that lies within home cooking and knowing what’s in my food.
Originally adapted (I say adapted- I didn’t include the frosting here) from a sponge recipe on the Baking Mad site- it was my first venture into sponge that isn’t Victoria Sponge or chocolate- and if I say so myself, it was pretty blooming tasty. At 370 calories a slice (which rumour has it classifies as a ‘low calorie’ cake) it makes for the perfect partner in crime to a good cuppa and a feet up in the garden. Now without further ado…
You will need:
– 300g Self Raising Flour
– 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
– 300g Stork (soft)
– 125g Silver Spoon Half Spoon Granulated Sugar
– 5 Free Range Eggs (Medium)
– 1 Juice & Zest of a lemon
– 150g Blueberries
1. Preheat your oven to 190C (fan ovens are good for 170) and grease and line a baking tin! Sift your flour and baking powder into a bowl.
2. Add the Stork, Half Spoon and eggs and beat until smoother than Danny Zuko and Ryan Gosling on a double date.
3. Fold in the lemon juice and zest, add your blueberries (save a few for decoration if you want to be all arty farty like me too).
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until firm, risen and cooked through (you can test this using a knife, and it coming out clean).
For more super easy summer recipes have a peek at this section of the Baking Mad site– I promise you won’t be disappointed!