After realising I hadn’t done a recipe post in what feels like forever, and further deliberating whether to make banana cake, coconut, marshmallow or berry cupcakes; I thought I’d pick out a go-to classic from the quirky and uber fashionable ‘Cox Cookies and Cake’ cookbook.
With a cupcake for every mood (even savoury!) and decorating techniques ranging from nudie torsos to cute hedgehogs, this really is a cheeky cookbook, with something for everyone.
I decided to trial the triple chocolate cupcake recipe (although I made them more like double chocolate), but I think due to the simplicity of the recipe, there’s probably room to play around with different fillings and flavours (currently dreaming of Nutella and coconut…) anyway, without further ado…
For the cakes!
75g dark chocolate broken into pieces
200g (7oz) unsalted butter
225g (7 1/2 oz) caster sugar
25g (1oz) cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
175g (6oz) plain flour
25g (1oz) dark chocolate chips
Chocolate sprinkles (or marshmallows, or, in fact whatever takes your fancy!)
For the Icing!
200ml (7floz) single cream
250g dark chocolate chopped
50g unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 200c and line a cupcake tin with 12 paper cases.
2. In a large saucepan melt the chocolate and butter over medium heat, stirring to prevent burning. Allow this to cool for a few minutes.
3. Stir in the sugar until well mixed, and add the eggs one at a time until you have a smooth batter. Sift the baking powder, flour and cocoa into the batter and mix until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Divide the mixture between the paper cases (don’t over fill them just about 3/4 full) and bake for 20-25 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
5. Whilst they cool make the icing! Heat the cream in a saucepan but do not allow it to boil. Pour the chocolate pieces over the hot cream, and stir until nice and glossy. Mix in your soft butter and leave to cool completely. Once cool beat until nice and fluffy (alternatively leave as a glossy icing!)
6. Leave your cupcakes to cool in the tins for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before tasting and decorating with your cooled icing. Finish by topping with sprinkles or marshmallows!